Cross is the most sacred relic of the Christianity, on which Jesus Christ, Son of God redeemed the world by his sacrifice. The cross is made of two beams orthogonal to each other and has a height of 3.4 metres and a weight approx. 80 kg. Pilate wrote his name and sin on the board above the crucified Jesus: Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews. On representations of the cross, we usually see the Latin inscription: INRI. The cross of Christ is the precious treasure of Christianity, which was honoured relic of small splinters already in the early 4th century. The cross as a ceremonial instrument was used for all ecclesiastical activities. The altar crucifix was already common at the end of the 4th century. The tradition of cemetery and grave crosses originated in the 9th century. The steeple crosses become common also at the same period. Wayside crosses existed already in the 4th century, but a wider-spread occurred in the 8th century in Anglosphere countries. In Zirc, the first cross was set up in 1721, at the ruins of the village’s church, next to today’s small church.

Jámbor cross

In 1760, the Jámbor Foundation established a new stone cross on the elevation along the county road, today’s Kossuth Lajos street.

Nesztinger (’wheat consecration’) cross

The cross was established by János and Anna Nesztinger in 1898 along the road to Akli across the cottar fields. On the cross foundation, 50HUF was made for reservation. In 1992, Béla Jezsó from Alsóörs restored the cross and made a new cast crucifix to the cross. It was consecrated in 1992 by father Kelemen Lázár. It was re-established by the Zirc National Flag Foundation (Zirci Országzászló Alapítvány) in 2008.

Wittmann cross

In 1873, Mihály Wittman and his wife established a stone cross next to the small church in the area of the ruin church from the era of the Árpád dynasty. In 1933, it was restored by János Bittman, stone carver from Zirc. In 1982, at the time of the church’s excavation, the cross was placed next to the sacristy of the small church.

Rommer cross

Today, we can see only the remains of the cross, established in 1917 by Józesf Rommer and his wife, on the Bakonybél road, at the exit of Háromhegy street.

Cross in Deák Ferenc street

The wooden cross, which stands on the square next to the road to Borzavár, was established in 1807 by Krisztián Leibel by a religious foundation of 4 HUF. The cross was replaced several times. It was restored in 1977 by the ÁFÉSZ for the last time, but a new restoration is needed because of its bad condition.

Memorial cross on Szent István square

The National Flag Foundation of Zirc presented it to the city. In 2022, on the celebration of the founding of the state, the wooden cross erected in Szent István square was inaugurated in honor of our King Szent István. Szent István's life work is both our present and our future, and the wooden cross is connected to the history of Hungarians.

Zirc, Március 15 tér 1. • +36 88 593 700, +36 30 294 7499 •